Thursday, February 23, 2012

Keepit Regatta - Thursday 23 Feb

Much better day today - very little wind, and cumulus, but cloudbase pretty low, and it overdeveloped and went showery over Kaputar.

We had quite a talk fest in the morning after briefing with Allan Buttenshaw talking about radio procedures, and me waffling on about avoiding airspace. Todd gave us a couple more brief hints about being a leader. As a result, we were probably a bit later than the optimum time taking off.

The task was Manilla 10km, Edgeroi 50 km Merrylands 40 km and back home - circles almost touching. Bob and I managed to stay together for the start and to Manilla. Then we turned to fly more or less parallel to Mt Borah under some clouds and it all went a bit pear shaped. The clouds didn't work very well but I found a good climb eventually. However Bob flew in underneath me - not all that much lower - and did not manage to pick it up. I now realise I should have descended to his level at that point and helped him pick it up, but unfortunately I didn't until it was too late. Bob did a good circuit and a safe outlanding close to the road, and I was able to relay a message to base for him. I really have a lot to learn as a leader. It means you have to know where you are going yourself!

Meanwhile, many others were have an ordinary time of it two. Two self launching gliders surreptitiously started their engines. I heard Todd and Matthew a fair bit on the radio - they seemed to manage to stay together, and Dave Shorter and Phil Anderton - Phil got low at one point and I heard Dave coax him into some lift, and he got up again and made it home after another low save at Tranquil. Allan Buttenshaw and his follower both flying Jantars made it around the course. John Trezise started off following Vic Hatfield and Ian McPhee in the Grob Twin 3 LL, but left them behind when they started their engine. Then he tagged along with Todd and Matthew for a while, then left them behind too, and did the rest of the task on his own. You can see most of the flights on the OLC.

A good many of the pairs seemed to end up in one large gaggle, somewhere ahead of me. I made it across to the western side of the Kaputar range and got flushed down a gully and was heading for a landing paddock before I got a climb. I think it would have been very difficult for Bob in the Libelle to cross all the trees with the high terrain and low cloudbase.

Nick Singer flew with Jacques today, and they seem to have had a reasonable run.

Once again, flying was followed by a sumptuous meal, and much analysis and arm waving at the dinner table.

 Didn't take any pics today - sorry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment